I Am Not a Size 0 (And That’s OK) | Body Positivity

Fashion blogger Mash Elle discusses body image and being proud of your figure | body positivity | loving your body

I like Starbucks…. a lot. And sugar cookies. My thighs brush together gracefully when I walk. I have baby fat in my cheeks. When I smile, my eye disappears in them. I don’t have a flat stomach. I am not an avid runner. But I am a healthy, 24 year old 5’10 size 4/6 female – and I am damn proud of my body.

What sparked this discussion is a recent Buzzfeed article I stumbled across titled “This Is What ‘One Size Fits All’ Actually Looks Like on All Body Types”. Buzzfeed is my go-to for all things funny, cute and sarcastic. But this article hit home to me. Girls of all shapes and sizes tried on articles of clothing from Brandy Melville – a shop that has gained much criticism for carrying ‘One Size Fits Most’ articles of clothing. Now, I’m not going to lie to you. I shop there. The clothes are hellah cute. But I know to avoid the shorts all together – and any skin tight tops will not do my body any justice. I’m 5’10 after all – do you know what lengths I’d have to go to to be a size 0? None I’d be comfortable with. The majority of clothing is created for a size 0-2. A size some are blessed with, and size most others are blessed not to be.

The topic of distorted body image is nothing new, especially within the fashion and beauty industry. Girls, myself included, are forced to look up to Victoria Secret Angel body figures (for anyone who isn’t aware – these stunning ladies are on an insanely intense workout routine and diet months before the fashion show films) which is highly unattainable to the average woman. Models such as these are the inspiration behind clothing deemed ‘one size fits all’. Ladies, I ain’t no Victoria Secret model.

Being a fashion blogger, I have found myself comparing myself to my favorite bloggers and asked myself – am I not skinny enough to be a fashion blogger? Will people think I’m too big once they meet me in person? The fact is, to even have that question enter my mind is utterly ridiculous. For those ladies who are a size 0 – you’re beautiful and this is not meant to look down on you. It’s for the rest of us – who aren’t. We are beautiful too. I’ve learned to embrace my curves. Throughout the years, my behind has gotten larger – and I kind of love it! I’ve got booty – and no one should be ashamed of booty.

I’m writing this in hopes to connect with at least one reader out there. You’re beautiful, no matter what size you are! Anyone who says you aren’t are not worth your time. I’ve death with my fair share of a-holes who have said I should watch what I eat (ever had a tray of nachos taken right out of your hands?!) but quickly realized people like this have a distorted mind and are going through internal struggles of their own. I mean.. a tray of nachos! Not cool! (Love my nachos! :)). As T Swift so aptly states, “Haters gonna hate, I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake”. (Thanks to Boho Nouveau for re-igniting my love for Swifty). Y’all are perfect – size 0, 4, 8, 10, 28. Give yourself some love!

Have a great week,
xoxox

16 Comments

1. December 4, 2014 / 1:00 am

I love this post, plus remember girl that when our thighs rub together we are closer to being mermaids ;P (pretty cool in my book if you ask me)

Natalia

2. December 4, 2014 / 1:26 am

bravo!

3. December 4, 2014 / 3:10 am

This is an inspiring post especially to those who are having low self-esteem because they’re not size that is “acceptable” to the society. Who cares if we’re size 8? I’d rather be size 8 than size 0!

Just my personal thoughts ^_^

xo

4. December 4, 2014 / 8:23 am

Thank you for sharing this. I love this so much. Can you believe that I have friends that say “I’ll start a fashion blog when I lose such and such amount of pounds”? I hear this ALL the time. It makes me so sad.

5. December 4, 2014 / 11:30 am

This is a lovely honest post. You are always beautiful, if you fit size zero or not. It doesn’t matter.
    artdicted2.blogspot.de/

6. December 4, 2014 / 1:32 pm

This is a wonderful post – I hope it reaches and inspires many girls/women out there. I know it did for me!

7. December 4, 2014 / 8:56 pm

I saw this article yesterday, it’s ridiculous that one size fits all even exists! I love this post, it’s so nice for someone to promote body confidence without body shaming size zeros. I can’t believe someone took nachos out of your hands. I’d go crazy!

India / Too Faced Giveaway

8. December 4, 2014 / 9:15 pm

Awesome post! I think as fashion bloggers we can easily find ourselves criticizing our bodies because we are constantly photographing ourselves but I believe that seeing different body types model clothes can be refreshing and way more inspiring than looking at models in a magazine! Bravo to you!
    -Alex

9. December 4, 2014 / 11:35 pm

I am happy you shared that buzzfeed and your thoughts with us. It is so true…the standards are wack. Check out my blog: Picky-me.com 🙂

10. December 5, 2014 / 3:31 am

just finished reading the article you’re talking about…. I get some things being one size fits most… like scarves, gloves, even ponchos maybe, but the fact that standard clothes would come like seems bizarre to me… most people aren’t even just ‘one size’, I for example am and 8 on top and 10 on the bottom (or 2 & 4 if we’re talking US sizing…which I also find strange…) so well done on a lovely piece, I think you are beautiful the way you are too (as is everyone else)

Sah xx

11. December 5, 2014 / 5:48 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

12. December 6, 2014 / 3:46 am

The best “one size fits all” item to embrace….love!

13. December 6, 2014 / 3:55 am

I loved this post. I’m pretty skinny, but I’m not a size 0 either, and somedays it kind of irks me, even though I know it shouldn’t. Body confidence is extremely important, for both men and women.
    On another note, one size fits all seemed to be a big thing when I was visiting Asia, and they somehow make it work for a variety of body types. But a lot of this might be because one size fits all usually means oversized tops or cardigans, or elastic waists.

Arielle from Tangled Musings

14. December 23, 2014 / 4:09 am

Your post is wonderful and I absolutely loved it! I love reading these types of posts because they are so inspiring and give me hope for the future where size will no longer be something women are judged on. I agree that everyone is beautiful no matter what!

I would love if you would read the post I wrote a while ago about this topic as well: http://fromalyssawithlove.blogspot.com/2014/11/zero-is-size.html

With Love,